Why have always been we more vulnerable to getting HIV or a intimately sent Infection (STI)?
It’s important to simply just take protective measures in order to avoid HIV that is catching or STIs while having sex once the danger is greater for males that have intercourse with guys compared to others. Simply because the liner associated with the rectum is more delicate than the liner of a vagina and it’s also therefore more at an increased risk to become damaged.
Insertive anal intercourse (topping) is normally a smaller danger for HIV than receptive anal intercourse (bottoming), but both topping and bottoming during unprotected (condomless) anal intercourse is regarded as risk that is high.
Guys that have intercourse with men composed 45% of brand new HIV diagnoses in 2017 in the united kingdom. Within Solent Sexual Health males that have intercourse with men composed 48% of most brand new HIV diagnoses in 2018.
There have also increases when you look at the range Syphilis and Gonorrhoea diagnoses in Hampshire. Both these could be handed down by condomless sex along with rectal intercourse.
With PrEP (Pre-exposure prophylaxis) being more readily available, some individuals can be placing on their own at greater risk of getting an STI as PrEP just protects against HIV transmission.
Lowering your threat of getting an STI or HIV
The simplest way to protect your self if you are planning to have dental or anal intercourse is make use of a condom each and every time. While they aren’t 100% assured, whenever utilized precisely condoms are incredibly effective. Top strategies for making use of condoms.
Condoms are presented in different sizes and varieties, consequently when you haven’t quite discovered the fit that is right feel, take to utilizing alternative sizes, brands and kinds to see just what is best suited for you personally. If you’re responsive to latex, decide to try making use of latex condoms that are free. Condoms are available free via our Condoms by Post solution.
You’ll be able to lessen your danger by:
- Making use of lubrication. We suggest water based lube, however this will be sticky or dry helping to make condom splitting much more likely. Keep refreshing it with an increase of lube or several falls of water while having sex. Spit can spread some STIs, so avoid utilizing saliva.
- Reducing the true wide range of intimate lovers you have got
- Getting tested for STIs before making love with some body advising and new that in addition they have tested. If you should be having regular alterations in intimate lovers then 3 month-to-month STI evaluation is preferred.
- Reducing other activities that could impact your decisions, such has eating too much liquor or using medications.
- Getting immunised (vaccinated) against Hepatitis B, Hepatitis a plus some kinds of HPV.
By using medications included in the intercourse you will be having (Chemsex), it is vital that you be informed associated with dangers included and just how to relax and play since properly as you are able to. Some forms of Chems pose a greater danger for you since they may cause long run health issues such as for example despair, fat reduction and dependence that is psychological. To learn more about playing properly, click the link.
That you have been exposed to HIV click here if you are worried.
Professional solutions we could provide for your requirements
- Hepatitis a for males
- Hepatitis B for males
- Individual Papillomavirus (HPV) for males aged between 15 and 45
MSM clinic (Center Xtra):
Clinic Xtra provides tailored solutions for males who possess intercourse with males including:
- post publicity prophylaxis for HIV (PEPSE)
- Support and advice for pre publicity prophylaxis for HIV (PrEP)
- recommendations for support around ChemSex and substance abuse and danger reduction
- STI evaluating and therapy
Hospital Xtra intimate wellness clinics can be found at:
- St Marys Hospital, Portsmouth: Thursday 5:00 – 7:00pm
- Royal Southern Hants Hospital, Southampton: Thursday 5:00 – 7:00pm
- Crown Heights, Basingstoke: 5:00 – 7:00pm monday
- Andover wellness Centre: Friday 10:30am – 12:00pm
Do you want assist to lessen your danger?
If you’d like to discover more regarding help available or further advice, you are able to organize to see certainly one of our health and wellness advertising professionals. Please contact 0300 300 2016 and have to talk with the Sexual Health advertising Team or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you currently subjected to HIV?
If you should be worried you may have been confronted with HIV (had non-safe sex with some body whoever HIV status that you do not understand, or understand to stay positive and never on completely suppressed (undetectable) on therapy, or shared injecting gear), you may well be qualified to receive Post-exposure Prophylaxis.
Effective HIV treatment (ART) lets people lead healthier active life and additionally protects their lovers. Whenever viral load is undetectable on ART, HIV is not any longer sexually transmitted – with or without condoms. The ev
Post-exposure Prophylaxis ( PEPSE or PEP) is medicine you are able to just just simply take in lowering the possibility of HIV transmission. It’s four weeks long length of medicine that is taken after non-safe sex where there’s been a higher threat of visibility. PEP or PEPSE should be studied just as feasible after intercourse, and surely within 72 hours. The sooner it really is started the much more likely it really is be effective. You need to have an evaluation with a physician or nursing assistant just before are recommended this medicine. It is necessary which you finish the course after you have started it.
That you have been exposed to HIV you should attend one of our clinics, or an Accident and Emergency department straight away if you are worried.